Newbie Breeding Question

Hi

This is my first post to the list so please excuse me if I could have found
this out some other way.

I have recently bought 3 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (2 female, 1 male) and one
of the females was ferociously guarding some eggs. Today the eggs seem to
have disappeared but she is still guarding something. What am I looking for?
Is it likely the eggs have been eaten or are there likely to be fry there I
can't see yet?

Sorry if this is too basic but I have searched the 'net and flicked through
books but can't find anything to answer this.

Chris