Re: Disease of Rams

This does not sound like a "natural death" to me!
Pop eye is not a disease, just a symptom of the
final stages of some internal infection that ends
in the death of the fish. Labored breathing
usually indicates gill parasites or water problems
(high nitrites or other toxins). I don't know what
the cause is in your case. With Rams, the best
prevention is a month or 2 in quarantine at temps
in the mid 80s F (low 30s C), lots of clean water,
quality food - and hope for the best.

Commercial Rams have a poor history of survival,
but those that survive the first 3 months in a
tank should live for 3 years or more. Yes, like
apistos, Rams in the wild are mostly annual fish,
but this is due more to contraction of habitat
than this being their natural biological life
span. During the dry season the flooded Llanos
shrinks to a few oases. Water quality worsens and
there is an increased number of predator searching
for older (= larger) prey.

Mike Wise