Re: apisto staring competitions

Dominic,
I've sometimes had to put dark construction paper between tanks to keep
males from staring themselves silly. They never did breed until they
couldn't see each other, although I hadn't put two and two together.
They'd ignore the females and just spend days trying to figure out how
to melt glass.

I've had good success having males join in guarding their fry in
unobstructed view side by side tanks, once I removed the visual barrier.

Macmasteri seemed really prone to getting into these contests. It
figures you'd have a veijita involved.
Gary Elson
(just up the road in Montreal)