Re: Diatom Bloom

very few types of algal blooms are harmful. Most of the famous algal
species that are harmful occur in the marine environment, on the open
oceans. I don't know of any examples of harmful algal species in aquaria.
Algae proliferate in aquaria when conditions are favourable. THis can
include intense lighting and accumulation of nutrients (nitrate and
phosphate, [and silicates?]). While the nutrient ecology of algae is
similar to that of plants in the aquarium, where they remove nutrients
from the water, they are considered a nuisance because they may block out
light from plants when growing on them and because they are unsightly.
Thus, the algae in itself is not harmful, although it may serve as an
effective indicator of inappropriate water quality, where perhaps there
are excessive levels of nutrients dissolved in the water from which they
can feed. You could leave the light off and the algae cannot
photosynthesize photosynthates (heehee... say that three times), although
they are in effect cleaning your water while you are gone.

My favourite filter for raising fry with are sponge filters. Fry are
always on evil missions to get into the smallest openings of filter
intakes, just to get me to throw things. They can even get through the
pores of Aqua Clear sponge inserts wrapped around the filter intake.
Perhaps they think it is a labyrinth.

Not much you can do about going away. The most sensitive periods are when
the fishes first begin to feed. They have to feed, and they have to feed
on small stuff, and thereafter, the water has to be cleaned.

Jonathan Fung... Reef Geek
Dalhousie University Honours Marine Biology
Aqua Creations Inc. Assistant Manager
writer for Marine Fish Monthly