Re: Diatom Bloom

hi,
i've just read my mail so sorry if someone already answered that question.
Diatoms are phytoplankton which can be found in rivers, lakes, marine
environments (different species so). They have the particularity to used
silica (biogenic element) in the formation of their tests. In the natural
environment they typically bloom one or twice a year (often summer period)
in an amazing quantity when conditions are present. They are: good light
intensity and duration, presence of all the nutrients (phosphate, nitrate,
iron, manganese....) in optimum quantity, temperature as well. Nevertheless
Silica is a limiting parameter to their bloom.
I'm not quiet sure if its 100% bad for a tank since it will tend to reduce a
surplus of dissolved elements that may have built up but they may also
impact the amount of dissolved oxygen available.
Concerning the "blue-green algae " and the info that Ron enlighted :"The
important difference is that blue-green algae produce poisons (known as
cyanotoxins) that can and will kill fish and other aquatic life", i have to
say that each time i have been exposed to it in friends tanks i had a strong
allergic reaction (by touching or smelling them).

Hope that helps,
take care

                        FLI USA

Yvan Alleau
712 Kings boulevard
97330 Corvallis, Oregon
home # 738-0606
College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences
Oregon State University
office (Burt 222) # 737-3649, to be used wisely !
yalleau@oce.orst.edu

"When you're far from everything, you're getting closer to the essential"