TDS meter range

TDS meters come in different ranges..some are ppm 0-1999 ppm and some come
in ppt 0-10.00 ppt..what is ppt and is the range 0-10.00 suitable for
aquarium use...I was just wondering as I can get a meter but it is 0-10 ppt
and I never seen this form of readout before...my old conductivity meter was
in microsiemens...the resolution is 0.01 ppt on the meter I am looking
at...any info would be greatful....

Al