Re: Fish ID

Eric,

I'm pretty sure that photo #5 is of a young male A. agassizii. A. pulchra males
usually exhibit a lace like series of light colored spot, especially in the
upper lobe, in the tail fin. They don't show the white submarginal band around
the tail that is characteristic of A. agassizii. Give him a few months and see
if the tail doesn't start becoming spade shaped. BTW the photo in the Aqualog
book labeled as "A. cf. pulchra" (S03805-4) is more like a young A. agassizii
than the Rio Madeira or Rio Branco forms of A. pulchra.

Mike Wise