Re: Considering these apistos and I'm New!

Hello Lianne

I along with Zman , will use a 5 gallon tank from time to time, i
presently have a breeding pair of Aggie Alenquers spawning regularly in
a 5 gallon tank.

I use mainly 10 gallon tanks for all my apistos and west africans, yes i
do have a few 15's and some 20 longs as breeder set ups, but my main
breeder tank size is a 10 gallon tank.   I breed Hongsloi II, Nijsenni,
Cacatuoides, Bitaeniata, Steindachneri, Panduro, Viejita II, Piausensis,
MacMasteri, Aggies, Cruzi and several species of Nanacara's,
Pelvicachromis in my Ten gallon tanks.

If you are going to use a 10 gallon tank for a larger fish, such as
Cacatuoides or Steindachneri, you need to put in more flower pots then
you have fish.   I mean, for my Trio of Cacatuoides, I have 4 or 5
flower pots of different sizes in the tank.   Gives everyone a hiding
space and then a retreat space should they get chased out of their
flower pot.

Preferably i like to use a 15 gallon tank for larger older breeders, but
i only have 3 of them so as you can see, You can do almost all species
of Apistos in a 10 gallon tank, if someone says elsewise, come see my
set up, over 70 tanks and of that 45 of them are 10 gallon tanks, 10 are
5 gallon tanks!!    It can be done!   Now as for breeding fish with
pygmy cats in there, i wouldn't recommend that.   If you are interested
in those Borelli, get them, like Gary Elson said in previous message,
they are really very beautiful little fish.  The larger the male gets in
time the more colorful he gets.

Enough from the snow covered frozen tundra of the Adirondacks, where no
spring time shall ever arrive.   Back to hybernation!!!

Tundra John