Re: Apistogramma Sp Belem

OK, John, the only fish I know of that comes in as A. sp. Belem is a
regani-complex fish pictured in the Aquarlog SACII on page59. It appears to
be a form of A. sp. Amapá (=Amapá Bitter forms I&II). Koslowski introduced A.
sp. Amapá to the hobby back in 1994. In his article he has a photo of a long
nosed variation from the Rio Cunaní (Amapá State, Brazil, near the mouth of
the Amazon) that looks similar to the fish in SACII (also see photo in Römer
Atlas, p. 823 bottom). The city of Belém is the nearest export station so I
guess it got its name from this. Since it is an undescribed species, its name
is strictly a commercial but acceptable one.

Mike Wise