Re: Killing fish humanely

On 05-Apr-01 cameron wrote:

> Stuff deleted
>
> Methods that are not recommended but are often mentioned include
> variations on freezing. Fish tend to suffer in these procedures. It does
>
> not matter whether they cool down slowly when you place them in a bowl
> of water in the freezer or if the water is already cold from the
> addition of ice cubes. Fish react to these methods in a negative way,
> and it is painful to watch.

I have to disagree.  There is a vast literature on the effects of freezing on
cold blooded animals. (Fish are cold blooded)  Most of the experiments have been
done with reptiles.  But if you measure neural activity in a cold blooded
system on the way to the frozen point, you see no neural activity at all.  This
is in strong contrast to what you see when pain is inflected on cold blooded
animals or when warm blooded animals are subjected to freezing.  In both those
cases the neural activity, which, by the way is the only way we have of
"knowing" that a lower organism if feeling pain, is greatly stimulated.

I read this as putting a fish in a bowl and putting the bowl in the freezer,
slowly brings the heart and neural functions of the fish to zero.  This sounds
pretty humane to me.  It just goes to sleep.

E-Mail: John N. Alegre <listhub@libros.andante.mn.org>
Date: 05-Apr-01
Time: 18:30:02

This message was sent by XFMail