Re: Pelvicachromis sacrimontis

Al.

The Giant Krib (I still have questions with the validity of the scientific name)
is a beautiful Pelvicachromis species - and threatened by habitat destruction in
the wild. I had this species in 2 color forms about 20 years ago and had no
problems breeding them. They might not exactly fit into the 4" / 10 cm
definition of a dwarf cichlid since males usually grow to 5" / 13 cm to 6" / 15
cm in length. Still their behavior is similar to the Common Krib. Like most krib
species they may take a few months to a year to start reproducing. It is best to
get 6 or more specimens and let them pair off naturally. I kept my breeding pair
in a 29 gallon high (30x12x18"d / 75x30x45cm deep) tank with 3 full grown Congo
Tetras and a Giant Danio. It had no plants other than a few small clumps of Java
Moss. They are a cave spawner and prefer to live & breed in low light areas.
Their natural habitat is in the remnants of rainforests near the central borders
of Nigeria & Cameroon. The pH should be around 6.3 to 6.5 just to assure that
the sex ratio turns out roughly equal. The water should be soft (<10º dGH
preferably <5º). My pairs were excellent parents, even able to drive off the
large predatory (toward fry) dither fish without harming them. I usually had
spawns between 70 - 100 fry. I finally lost my stock because I got lazy about
checking pH and my last brood turned out to be 100% females! This is not a
common species in the hobby so if you get the chance to breed them, I highly
recommend them.

Mike Wise