Re: Update on lamp blowout

Bill,

In the US it is still legal (but not encouraged) for an individual to remove & dispose of small quantities of hazardous materials from his own property without going through all of the permits & reporting that commercial remediation
services do. I doubt that there is enough mercury to damage a water treatment or septic system in one MV lamp, but considering all of the lamps casually thrown away, it adds up. If you want to feel better, you might want to run all your
water through high quality activated carbon and then place the carbon, gravel, & other solid wastes in multiple plastic bags. Tie off each bag separately and then place in a plastic bucket with a lid. Your waste will more than likely
survive shipping and burial in a dump. Better yet would be to call your local sanitation department and ask what they recommend. If it costs over $10 for them to remove it, decide for yourself. I know what I would do. Now about all that
rock wool (asbestos) in the attic that I covered with extra fiberglass insulation... Uh, let's not go there!

Oh, for all those parent & grandparents out there, you all have seen those cute little shoes for kid that have flashing lights in the heels? Guess what the electrical switch is. Yep, a nice little bubble of mercury! Worn down heels can
release it in a child's house. These shoes may be cute, but they aren't harmless!

Mike Wise