Anyone ever seen this?

Hi all,
well I knew fish from Big John would be an adventure, but I didn't
expect to see something i've never seen before. I picked up some of his
A. aggassizi (alenquer) 2 nice males and 3 females. I got them last
friday, and they looked to have a bit of growing to do. So rather than
give em' their own tank I decided to save a little room, and tossed em'
in the 46 bowfront with a group (5) of Nanacara anomala, and a few
pencils (other misc fish as well). Well.....they spawned the next day!
So much for my more growth theory! I was a bit concerned about a rather
large cory cat that was in there so out came the trusty net, and I went
a' diggin! I really had to work at  it as the tank has a ton of plants
and caves, and I think I stressed her a bit much because she ate the
spawn. So..... life goes on right?
Well...... there was another female, 2 days later, bright yellow and
defending a cave she dug out under a piece of slate with a vengance! The
male was present as well and defending too. So now you're all
saying....OK Rich, so whats the point right?
Well i've noticed that not only are the female in question and the
dominant male defending the territory, but the other 2 females are
colored up, and defending too!?? Neither of them are chased from the
area, and the whole group (save for the other male who has been banished
to a dark corner somewhere) eat together in rotation! They eat one at a
time while the rest of the group watches the territory. At first I
thought I was being a bit over zealous, but I tell ya folks, i've been
watching since Monday, and I see no variance in the behavior since then.
Now this is the 1st time i've ever worked with groups of apistos, till
now it was pairs or trios. So this may be something that is common
knowledge. Just figured I post and see if anyone else has noticed this
behavior. So tell me, anyone ever seen this? Or is big john dumping that
blue goop stuff in his tanks again?

Be well,
  Rich