Re: Too many Apistos!

I looked through my notes, and we found hippolytae in almost every Negro
habitat where pertensis was present. The gephyra I found in the RioNegro
area were always deeper in the forest and usually with agazizii. The main
stream has sometimes 6 or 7 species of Apistogramma in the same spot. I
would say that hippolytae are everywhere, but never in large numbers unlike
pertensis which is often the most common species. A lot of this has to do
with time of day and time of year and I would be very careful with any
assumptions of what various species prefer. I have collected the Rio Negro
in the spring when water levels are already high and the fish have moved
into different areas. Hippolytae is also much more common in the Rio Branco=
,
where it dominates pertensis in more of a white water setting.

Personally I have no worries about various species of Apistogramma
interbreeding. I have yet to see it happen with wild fish, and I often keep
4 species in a 15 gallon to condition fish for photos.

Oliver
=20

> I tend to agree with Sal. Not so much with hybrids between gephyra &
> pertensis, but that the fry of the 2 species would be hard to tell apart.=
 My

--
Oliver Lucanus
oliver@belowwater.com