Re: Apistogramma sp. "Opal"

Kevin,

"Opal" is a color form of A. borellii. They show very little or no yellow.
Instead, they are mostly blue with some deep green scales, and red markings
on the face. The original Opals (Opalita) were line bred stock from the
former East Germany (DDR), but Staeck reports that such superior colored
males are also found in most populations of wild A. borellii. Since the
original line bred forms are hard to come by anymore, I wouldn't expect all
the fry from recent strains of Opal to show the Opal (no yellow) trait. More
often than not a wild Opal will mate with a normal borellii and the Opal
trait will be diluted. Female Opals are indistinguishable from the normal A.
borellii. I wouldn't expect a lot of females to come in with wild Opals,
since only the most colorful specimens (males) will be selected for shipment.
Female A. borellii are much smaller (1.5 in/3.5 cm) than males (2.25 in/6 cm) and
show much lower dorsal fins. Females have no blue scales. If you have 2
mature specimens that look a lot alike, then you probably have 2 males - or
A. sp. Blaukopf/Blue-head, which is frequently sold as A. borellii.