Apisto agassizi spawning question

My mom and I were watching my Apisto agassizi this evening. One of the
females is YELLOW. I men, like so bright she's almost orange neon. Her
black stripe is nearly non existent, and there is not a sign of steely
gray on her body. I'm guessing she's ready to spawn. <g>

Now, the question... what's wrong with the male?? There are ample cave
spots in this heavily planted tank, and the female appears to have
staked out "her" spot in the hollow of one of the pieces of driftwood,
as opposed to one of several clay pots in the tank. She has been driving

the cories away from the area entirely (the Apistos normally pay no
attention to the cories) and the other females aren't coming near her.
The male sort of floats, obliviously, into her territory and she
approaches him, all aflutter, and swims alongside leaning over to expose

her belly. He looks panicked (I kid you not!) and darts away! He stays
on the other side of the tank for several minutes, then forgets and
floats over near her log again, and it all starts over. Is he stupid?
Just doesn't like her? Shy? Or is this normal foreplay??  Thanks!

~Lianne & Lisa