From: owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com
[mailto:owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com]On Behalf Of David Sanchez
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 4:16 AM
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: Re: A.jururensis

Hello Yvan I can hopefully help you a little bit . I
think the reason you may not have gotten a response is
perhaps because the true A.jururensis is a bit
elusive. Like Killie fish there seems to be allot of
geographical diffrences in many Apistos. I had a
A.jururensis that had allot of yellow along the flanks
when I brought some in wild these were A.sp
aff.jurensis. I did however get a variety of
A.jururensis from Germany and it was exactly like the
one commonly found in the litrature. I was succesful
in breeding the wild ones but not the German Imports
as I was not working with them at the time. The wild
A.jururensis were very hardy and  grew rather quickly.
My males were huge by Apisto standards reaching over
2" easily. I didnt have any problems breeding them and
they spawned in less then ideal water as I recall. The
first spawn was a a surprise to me as i had them in a
30 gallon holding tank and I found a bright yellow
female which was the tell tale sighn i had some eggs.
I removed her cave and poured water form the tank into
a 5 gallon tank and she proceded to go from there. I
used my well water 15 us/cm, 5.5 pH, 0KH and 0DH with
very good results but my first attempt was with a
50/50 mix of well water and tap water I dont recall
the exact parameters so I cant say what it was but
suffice to say they were pretty hardy. Perhaps the
Tech folks could tell you the diffrences btween the
diffrent forms I am a breeder so I'll let those folks
deal with that boreing stuff :)

One last thing Yvan once youve spawned a few Apisto's
you have the basis of knowledge to pretty much spawn
them all. This may sound like an oversimplication of
things but when you look at it it's not too far
fetched. Apisto's are pretty much cave spawners and
need a very similar environment. Plants  and caves for
security a sandy substarte etc. The only question is
really what type of water we use and honestly I just
use the same water for about 90% of all Apistos. I
will admit you will get some behavior anamolies in
some ( male A.borellies who like to tend fry!)but as
far as us breeders are concerned once we have our
recepie for success we can stick with it. Good luck
with your A.jururensis.

Dave Sanchez