Re: Nijsseni fry!

Hi Brian,
I'm glad to find you on the Apisto list now.My experience with nijsseni's is that they like bigger 20g> tanks with the presence of some dither fish for breeding purposes.I have a nijsseni breeding article on my website.The article doesn't describe the best way to breed them though.It's about the struggles one experiences finding the right fish and breeding them in a community tank.I do use peat filtration in all my breeding tanks.If you don't like peat try to add some dead,boiled Oak or maple leaves into the tank to add tannins and acidity.
HTH
Max

Visit "The Digital Aquarium" and L&M Tropicals at:
http://clix.to/Apisto

Hi, I've got a large, fully adult, beautiful pair of nijsseni's that just
won't spawn.  They're in a large planted tank with tons of dither fish
(potting soil under the gravel).  The pH is 6.5 and I've had it much lower.
Temp is 80F.  I've got blue rams that spawn constantly in the same water.

So my question is what the heck did you do to get the nijsseni to spawn??

Brian Ahmer
ahmer.1@osu.edu
http://www.angelfire.com/or/biggestbri