Re: Nijsseni fry!

ok , heres to dispell any of the norms of Nijsenni.

All the juvies actually sexable sized nijsenni are from a pair that
spawned in a 5 gallon tank.   I had them in there as a quarantee tank
until i could get a bigger tank set up for them.    I guess 3 flower
pots, sponge filter and water was all that they needed.....

I ended up with about 50+ fry from that pair...  first spawn was the
trick for them.....  I normally use a ten gallon tank for my Nijsenni...
I like to put at least one or two more flower pots then number of fish
into the tank.... gives them a chance to select where to spawn and where
to hide..... i have found that large Male Nijsenni tended to be fry
eaters with younger fish being better spawners and parents..... My
experiences here, so dont jump at me please.

I have always used a varied diet, frozen bloodworms, baby brine shrimp,
tetra bits ( oops color bits ) flake food and live daphnia went it
doesnt crash in the summer on me.
This always kept them well conditioned.   I have also found that my
Nijsenni liked the water warmer for spawning, near 80F....    Although i
have had them spawn in 75F water...   My tap water is around 6.5 pH and
15ppm Hardness.
In older more established tanks the pH drops into the 5 something range
and they love that.

Anyways ..... my experiences with Nijsenni

John