Re: "what the heck"

Carbon is not going to affect the pH. It will prevent
it from dropping by taking up DOCs, but the elements
that carbon is capable of "capturing" (which is what
happens in adsorption) should not bear eny effect on
pH, this is because the size of the micropores in the
carbon are not suited to the capture of small
molecules. As to rinsing there is not anything to
worry about there, all that you do when you rinse is
use a little of the carbons adsorption capacity. The
Black Diamond is made from Bituminous Coal and the
dust is just tiny bits of carbon so it will not harm
anything. A rinse won't hurt though but I always enjoy
the satisfying fizz when it is first dropped in ;-)