Re: Problems

Hi folks, thanks for the suggestions. I've decided to
use my previous email address for the time being as
(as Pete Liptrot said), I can't seem to find how to
rejoin the list. If someone can send me instructions
on how to, I'd be very grateful.

Let me add some info. about my problem. I've had a
look at the gills under a microscope and at 50x
magnification the gills were covered in little black
spots which when viewed at 200x mag. showed as black
spots with lots of wavy hairs coming off them. No
visible nucleus or anything else for that matter.
This would appear to be very similar to the Cilliate
(?) described in vol I of the Baensch atlas.
Unfortunately I won't be able to give you the full
info. until Tuesday.
Even though I treated with Serazin (generally good
for this sort of thing) there has been no
improvement. The most effective treatment (it worked
once!) was salt. Unfortunately since then my
Crenicichla Regani female keeled over and didn't
respond to this treatment.
Having spoken to Pete on the phone he suggested that
the Cilliats may be a secondary symptom, not the
cause. I tend to agree.

Water parameters:
0 nitrates
3º DH
3º KH
pH between 6 and 7
No visible connection with water supply (some died
after a water change, others not), municiple water
supply RO'd, maximum of 50% water changed, at approx.
once per week, some tanks haven't had many changes in
the past couple of months (1 or 2).
Heavily planted tanks, producing a lot of oxygen
(pearling all day). Filtration is by various methods
on different tanks but all have plentiful O2 levels,
if anything, the tank with the least O2 is the one
with the least problems.
In general there is no discolouration anywhere until
just before death when the gills sometimes lose
colour.
Until recently I've been feeding ONLY frozen food and
the occasional lot of wild caught mosquito larvae
from a planter outside my house or from my water tank
(left open for this reason.
Stock is generally captive bred.
Since speaking to Pete I've tried a bactericide, but
won't know how effective this has been until the next
fish tips up its toes.

C:-)lin

They said "Smile, things could be worse." So I smiled and sure enough...

You too can have your own email address from Eurosport.
http://www.eurosport.com