Re: mixing apistos

> What you have is called hair
> algae (for pretty obvious reasons) and it is a sign of a nutrient
imbalance
> in your tank.

Specifically, hair algae is known to be caused in many cases by excess iron.
The source could be over-fertilization (for plants) or in the tap water.
You should get it tested to be sure.  I believe there also has to be some
type of nitrate problem as well as excess iron, but I can't remember if it
is excess nitrate or limited nitrate.  Algae eaters certainly help, but you
should also try to find the underlying source of the problem.  Follow
Rachel's advice.