A.cacatuoides cross breeding questions

I have a question regarding crossing A.cacatuoides triple red with orange flash :
I managed to get a batch of fry from a red flash female and a triple red male.I noticed spinal and fin deformations in some of the fry.I don't know if this is due to a small Blue Green Algae infestation in the breeding tank or if those two strains aren't compatible?The fry reached about 8-10mm in TL now. 30-40% start to show the deformations . I also wonder about their coloration.Anybody else ever tried to cross breed the two?
On another note:I went to one of our biggest LFS yesterday for food and supplies.I always check their tanks for new fish.
Boy, I wish I had the 180 bucks for some of the gorgeous WC Discus they got in now:(.
Fortunately the new owner stocks some Apistos and they always have a nice selection now.
I learned yesterday that Apisto knowledge can save you a lot of money.
They had one tank with" A.ortmanni wc" for $3.99.I found "A.steindachneri" two tanks down the line for $39.99/pair.Of course those were both A.steindachneri,the ones for 3.99 looked like they were in better health then the 39.99 ones.Go figure:).Unfortunately,they only had males left,I'm looking for a female.
Have fun at the OCA .I wish we could be there.
Max

Visit "The Digital Aquarium" and L&M Tropicals at: http://clix.to/Apisto