Peat Moss vs. Oak Leaves

In trying to decrease hardness and pH, can crushed oak leaves be used as effectively as peat moss when placed in a nylon sack inside a filter?  I have plenty of oak leaves in my yard right now, and wondered if I could just use them instead of buying some peat moss.  My plan is to let a sack of one or the other either float in my power filter, or just let the sack float in a bucket of water to be used in a water change later.

I also read in the archives that 'waxy' oak leaves wouldn't be as effective, or shouldn't be used for this purpose.  Any ideas on that?  I have Pin Oaks (Southern).  TIA