Re: Pronunciation

Jody,

First of all there is no such species as 'A.
cacatuoide'. The proper spelling is 'A.
cacatuoides'. Based on my 2 years of high school
Latin [so far back that Latin wasn't a dead
language yet!  ;-) ], the species name should be
pronounced 'KAW' - kaw - TWO - oy -DEEZ'.
'Cacatuoides' is butchered a lot, but the one that
bugs me the most is 'A. nijsseni'.  Too many
people use 'NEE - son -EYE'. This is incorrect. It
should be 'NYE - zen - EE' since it was named for
the Curator of the Zoological Museum of Amsterdam,
Dr. Han Nijssen [NYE - zen]. Still, I'm not immune
to mispronouncing Latinized names. I habitually
use 'NYE - zen - EYE'.

As my college English professor said, "Any English
that you can understand is good English. It may
not be proper English, but it's good English." I
guess we can expand that to Latinized names, too.

Mike Wise