Re: Quarantine Qs

I've got some input on quarantining...

I quarantine all of my fish, so I have several tanks reserved for quarantine. Everyone is a bare tank with a box filter. They don't have plants or sponge filters. Why? Because if a disease does break out, I want to be able to sterilize the tank (usually with bleach). This could be hard on a sponge filter, but I can easily discard all the material in a corner-box filter and sterilize it.

OK, I have had the occasional species that was so sensitive that I risked a graveled tank (with a few plants) and converted it into a quarantine tank. The fish needed the cover and somewhat familiar substrate.

Now on the rare occasion that a disease does break out in one of my display tanks, and it is rather nasty or contagious, I will sterilize that tank. What about the plants? A biology-aquarist friend of mine recommended that I submerse them in a solution of Potassium permanganate (just a few minutes for sensitive plants, but even overnight for java moss). I bought my bottle from a local chemical store -- but I had to fill out special paperwork for that chemical. I guess this method works on killing diseases (and hydra cysts) -- at least the plants survive (but they aren't used until after a long, long rinsing).

Anyway, my recommendation is to use sterilizable tanks for quarantine tanks. When a planted tank needs sterilizing -- well I've written what I do.

--Randy