Re: apisto biotopes

Ron,

Uwe Römer wrote an excellent article describing in minute detail dwarf cichlid habitats in the middle & upper Rio Negro (blackwater). I strongly recommend you read it:

Römer, Uwe. 1998. Einige Aspekte der Mikrohabitatwahl südamerikanischer Zwergbuntbarsche (Teleostei: Cichlidae) [Some aspects of microhabitat selection among South American dwarf cichlids (Teleostei: Cichlidae)]. in Greven, Hartmut & Rütiger Riehl, eds. "Verhalten der Aquarienfische".  Birgit Schmettkamp Verlag , Bornheim.  271 p.  (p. 239-254).

It's in German, of course, but ASG members can get a copy from me along with an English translation.

Mike Wise

Ron Skylstad wrote:

Hey everyone.  I just joined up and hopefully I'm doing everything right (I apologize ahead of time for any possible ignorant breach in etiquette.) I have been working for a while on putting together an archive of different biotopes and how to accurately set them up in home aquariums.  This is purely NON-COMMERCIAL and solely for the benefit and use of fellow hobbyists interested in this part of fish-keeping(you can check it out here:http://www.aqualink-too.com/ubb/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=62&SUBMIT=Go ).  It is based out of a BB, but that is non-commercial as well. I have been trying to put together a few different setups for apistogramma and other dwarf cichlids, but I'm left reeling after I try to break up the different species into groups and environments.  I am trying to come up with plans that are authentic to the fish's natural environment, both in aquascaping and water parameters.  That why I want to ask all of you who have maybe collected them in the wild or are very knowledgeable about specific species, for help and information. I was going to separate them into clearwater and blackwater tanks, but information is so unclear that it's hard to say which ones always come from which environment: streams, igarapes, pools, lakes, acidic pH, neutral pH, stagnant, slowly flowing, etc.  I am also curious as to what native plants and other fish are found with them.  I would then like to divide them all into different biotopic setups and add them to the archive. Well, I've sort of rambled on.  I would love any information that any of you would care to share. Ron