Re: Tiger Stripe?

Zack,

Here's what Ingo wrote to me:

"Gary´s Tigerstripe is most likely a form of the Winkelfleck [=Angle-spot]. I am
not sure, because I never saw this alive. It shows the body- and fin-shape, the
metallic sheen and the typical aggressive pattern of this species. The main
difference is that it has a less striped caudal fin and more red on the
gill-covers."

Since color - other than the pattern of dark markings on fish - is not typically
a factor in identification of apistos, the red gill covers are not sufficient in
themselves. The fewer numbers of caudal stripes may indicate a different
population or difference in age of two fish of the same form. We know that the
number of tail stripes on A. pertensis, for example, increase in number as they
age. But we also know that some pertensis-like forms have narrow rows of spots.
Are they the same species or not?

I wouldn't feel comfortable crossing these two forms. Let's face it, if we
finally discover that two forms are the same species it's fine to cross them.
But if we cross them and then discover that they are two different, but closely
related species, we cannot un-cross them. It is best to err on the side of
caution so that we don't lose some purebred species.