From: owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com
[mailto:owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com]On Behalf Of Thomas Wilkinson
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 7:09 PM
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: Re: ram fry, sigh

David
I thought I would chime in here about the natural biotope of  rams. I have
collected rams in Venezuela on two seperate trips. At one site I caught
large rams that were in a slow moving stream, light brown clear water and
about 2-3 ft deep. The stream came out of a green meadow land and was
entering a forested area. The first year the pH was 6.4 and the hardness 90
ppm. Two years later the same site had pH 6.7  hardness110 ppm and temp 30
C.
The other collection site could not have been more different. The site was
an isolated pond in the middle of the savannah. Water was cloudy and
"white". No current and only 6" to 1 ft deep. Lots of small but intensly
colored rams. At this site the pH was 5.8 , hardness 30 ppm and temp 33 C.
Tom