Re: extra male Aggie Alenquers

Ken,

Alenquer & Iquitos Blue are at least different populations. Whether or not they are
the same species - or even A. agassizii - is up for question, too.  Both 'forms' show
minor differences from the holotype of A. agassizii. That's why I say they might not
even be A. agassizii. Undoubtedly they are closely related although not found close
together. Let's face it Iquitos, Peru is a couple of thousand miles up the Amazon from
Alenquer, Brazil. I've never seen a live Iquitos Blue (? = A. cf. agassizii
(Pastel/Tapiche) ?), only photos. These photos show a more pastel blue/gold fish than
the metallic blue/gold A. cf. agassizii (Alenquer) that I've had. I can see subtle
differences in the caudal fin pattern, but I can't honestly say this is diagnostic. It
may very well be due to the small number of pictures of Iquitos Blue (only 2) that
I've seen.

A. agassizii (in the broadest sense) is extremely widespread all along the main
channel of the Amazon, including up into the middle Rio Negro and mid-upper Rio
Madeira. Considering the amount of isolation and resultant lack of genetic mixing, I
wouldn't be surprised if we are seeing some sort of speciation in this "species".
We'll just have to wait for genetic testing to know for sure. Until then I wouldn't
list them with a locality name (Alenquer or Iquitos Blue) if I crossed the two. I'd
probably just call them 'Blue & Gold Agassizii'. It would be unethical to give them a
locality name when selling to others interested in pure populations.

Mike Wise