Re: sand vs gravel

....I agree with Colin that beach sand might cause some hardness problems.
Now the next question is "should the bottom be sand or gravel".......small
grain or large????  Isn't the "natural" environment down in nature bacically
sand with a covering or leaves???  My apisto's really seem to prefer sand and
they move it sometimes furiously bit by bit.  Now as to color........wel, I
think the leaves will give a darker color so apisto's in the wild are used to
darker bottoms.........so take your choice.  Personal preferences.....I don't
like the straight black sand although the apistos do show off well there I
prefer the natural med. light sand...but if I was "showing" the fish I would
probably opt for the dark natural sand......please don't be offended by me not
liking the black sand..........you probably don't like the shirt I'm wearing
either.....;-), ;-)

> Be careful with beach sand, it almost certainly contains shells, which will
cause you
problems with water hardness. There have been many discussions on this subject
and I'd
suggest you have a look at the archives at thekrib.com, this'll give you some
ideas for
sources of acceptable sand. I try to use a dark sand substrate, but sometimes
it's
difficult to find it. Sand is fine for plants, they are able to get a better
purchase on
it than gravel.