RE: sand vs gravel

I've not had any problems so far, and don't have any corys in the tanks with this substrate as I've heard the same things. I will keep an eye on developments anyway, thanks
C:-)lin

-----Original Message-----
From: "Yvan Alleau" <yalleau@coas.oregonstate.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:07:51 -0800
To:  <apisto@listbox.com>
Subject: RE: sand vs gravel

Re: colin,
Re: for what i saw from friends who used fine lava-type sand in their tank i
Re: would really avoid that.
Re: when fish are scared or fight they move fast and sometime hurt the sand,
Re: scratch their body on it and get injuries which get infected.
Re: Plus fish like corydoras would completelt damage their mouth (cf little barb
Re: stuff hanging in both sides of the mouth): it looks weired after!
Re: This kind of soil is good so when speaking about biological action as they
Re: will contain a use population of bacteria.
Re: As you've mentionned, this lava-sand is also very light and moves around
Re: with flow. if you use any syphon system to clean the extra crap bulding up
Re: in the tank, that might be an issue to.
Re: anywooo...
Re: my 2 centimes!
Re: take care
Re:
Re: Yvan Alleau
Re: 712 NW Kings Blvd
Re: Corvallis, OR 97330
Re: College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences
Re: Oregon State University
Re: office (Burt 222): 737-3649, to be used wisely!
Re: home: 738-0606
Re:
Re: PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:
Re: yalleau@coas.oregonstate.edu
Re:
Re: "When you're far from everything, you're getting closer to the essential"
Re:
Re:
Re: -----Original Message-----
Re: From: owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com
Re: [mailto:owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com]On Behalf Of Colin Gorton
Re: Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 7:00 AM
Re: To: apisto@listbox.com
Re: Subject: Re: sand vs gravel
Re:
Re:
Re: I'm going to be using volcanic "sand" for my 1000 gallon "Monster Tank"
Re: project 'cos I'm not far from a volcanic (extinct) area. This varies in size
Re: from less than 1mm to around 5mm in sie, the only `problem is that it's a
Re: bit light and gets "blown" around a bit if the current is too strong, you
Re: also need more of it to hold down plants:-(. I'll be getting about 3 sack
Re: fulls :-0.
Re: C:-)lin
Re:
Re: -----Original Message-----
Re: From: "Ed Pon" <edpon@hotmail.com>
Re: Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:49:38
Re: To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
Re: Subject: sand vs gravel
Re:
Re:
Re: Re: Rather than using sand or gravel, I usually go to the rock quarry or
Re: garden
Re: Re: supply shop and get 60lb bags of #2 sand.  I think playground sand is #0
Re: or
Re: Re: #1.  Playground sand is too fine and "packs", causing dead spots (no
Re: oxygen
Re: Re: zones). #2 sand seems to be the right size for apistos to move around
Re: Re: easily.
Re: Re:
Re: Re:
Re: Re:
Re: Re:
Re: Re: Ed Pon
Re: Re: Milpitas, California 95035
Re: Re:
Re: Re:
Re: Re: _________________________________________________________________
Re: Re: Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com
Re: Re:
Re: Re:
Re: Re: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: -
Re: Re: This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto@listbox.com.
Re: Re: For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
Re: Re: email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Re: Re:
Re:
Re: --
Re:
Re:
Re: C:-)lin
Re:
Re: They said "Smile, things could be worse." So I smiled, and sure enough...
Re:
Re:
Re: Powered by Outblaze

--

C:-)lin

They said "Smile, things could be worse." So I smiled, and sure enough...