Re: Reconstituting RO/DI Water

I've got to think that adding salt is worse than adding back tap water. The water of South America has some natural balances of various ions. As I recall, Calcium is usually present by a 2:1 to 10:1 ratio over Magnesium. Sodium is usually far less present. These numbers for various biotopes are given in the Mayland/Bork book. So if your hard water has calcium and magnesium and sulfates in it, adding a little of that would make the water more like those of the biotopes. Adding NaCl would not.

For some reason, many aquarists think that if they pumped the water through an r/o system it would be a shame to put back some of what they took out. Why?! If one needs to add some hardness back and one's hard water has the right mineral mix, it would be a shame to use something else.

--Randy