Re: Fish ID

I recognized the similarity with runpununi, too. Note the long ventrals and the placement of color on them and on the upper dorsal. Hauntingly similar. But I dismissed rupununi due to a single feature -- a subtle but disqualifying feature. Look at the vertical row of spots on the caudal. A. rupununi has about a dozen rows; yours and steindachneri have just over half that. Also, those rows run through all the caudal rays, on yours and on steindachneri they do not extend to the upper and lower rays.

Unless yours is a rather young specimen, its dorsal defies it being macmasteri (leading rays, length of trailer).

--Randy