RE: Floating plants for a breeding tank?

hi Tomoko,
i personally use riccia, salvinia and ceratopteris as surface plant in order
to:
1) have the fish feel more confortable (safer)
2) provide hidding place for the adult (mom can be taff sometime) and the
fry
3) provide food supply (paramecies and other rather small organisms) that
the fry really enjoy at first
4) help in keeping the water quality good (someone raised a problem with
water changes and fry eating behavior with rams)
5) provide a shaded environment that reduces the algea growth
6) because i like it so!!!
Also, all my breeding tanks include java moss for the same reason mentioned
here before. If i don't have enough of those plants, i make sure that at
least java moss is present in the tank.

Now, a lot of people just breed the fish in bare-bottom tanks with nothing
in it but a few pots. Once again, whatever works is good. It is up to you to
add a little touch to make it look less sterile and more like a small
ecosystem.

take care

PS: sorry but i don't know what the comun name of the plants you use refered
to. I haven't been in the US for long enough!

Yvan Alleau
712 NW Kings Blvd
Corvallis, OR 97330
College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences
Oregon State University
office (Burt 222): 737-3649, to be used wisely!
home: 738-0606

PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:
yalleau@coas.oregonstate.edu

"When you're far from everything, you're getting closer to the essential"