Re: Ap. jurua

Francine,

Koslowski told me care & breeding is kind of difficult. His F-1s from wild
specimens, which Numrich sent him for observation spawned several times in very
acid (pH below 5), moderately hard water. Still the eggs were eaten about the
time they were about to hatch or just after hatching. Shortly afterward the
adults died. It seems he wasn't alone, since fish from the same brood all came
down with some kind of disease. He also writes in his book: "Krämer (pers.
comm.) got offspring collected by Bohnet to breed even in slightly alkaline,
moderately hard water (300 µS), but the number of fry produced was very low.  I
think I'd breed them under the same conditions as A. nijsseni, pH~5.5 & very
soft water.

Mike Wise