mass emailing -- recommended practice

The recent flurry of email about a virus alert demonstrated an inadvertent bad practice.

When emailing (broadcasting) to a list of several people, please list everyone in the BCC column. This hides the email addresses of all such recipients from each viewer.

While I'm getting the warnings and follow-up messages, I'm also getting a long list of email addresses. This is fertile material for nasty people to harvest for junk email lists. All it takes is one person on the To or CC list to forward it to others (and so on), and then who knows who will get access to the list ?!

Probably each of us takes measures to shield us from getting on junk email lists. I'm sure we each would appreciate it if when others mass-emailed, they put our addresses in BCC (blind carbon copy).

--Randy

------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto@listbox.com. For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help, email apisto-request@listbox.com. apisto-digest@listbox.com also available. Web archives at http://lists.thekrib.com/apisto