Re: breeding tank-small powerhead

Adam,

Conventional  flow rates are for heavily stocked
community aquaria. The rate I
always heard was between 3 & 5x/hr. Right now I'm
using a single 150 gph
powerhead on my living room 30 gallon community
tank (well stocked) & it seems
to be doing fine. None of my breeding tanks have
anywhere near the bioload of
this tank. I would worry about clogging a sponge
filter with a greater flow
rate. My breeding tanks all have sponge filters
that are air driven (1 turbine
blower). I keep the flow at about 3-5 bubbles per
second, just enough to ripple
the water surface. Too much water turbulence seems
to bother many dwarf
cichlids.

Mike Wise