Re: Atlanta ACA Convention

Randall, Francine, Big John, David, Mark, Bill, et
al.

Thank you all for your kind sentiments. My head is
swelling right now, but it's always great to get
'warm fuzzies'. I probably overwhelmed everyone
with the amount of information presented in such a
short time. 2 or 3 hours would have been better,
but ... . The faulty slide projector didn't help
much either. I was happy to hear from Erik Olson
that they had trashed the projector after my talk.
That'll teach it to misbehave! I want to thank
Mark for suggesting me, and all of the AAAA
members who put on an exceptional convention. It
was more amazing considering that only about a
dozen member actively worked to make it a success.
Let's not forget David Soares for co-hosting ASG
program and bringing along some of Uwe Römer's
latest slides. It just goes to show how one can be
successful with apistos using quite different
techniques. I don't know why David wore that hat
all the time, because he sure isn't losing hair,
like someone I know (I hope the glare didn't blind
anyone when I turned around ;-). Congrats to
Francine B. & Kathy O. for winning the photo
contests. If it's any consolation, Erik, your
photo of A. hippolytae was a close 4th. There were
only 7 dwarf cichlid entries, but several were
exceptional. I recognized the Biotoecus from the
GCCA weekend. There it missed winning best of show
by one vote. Here it took 2d. It just goes to show
how tough the competition was. The winning A.
borellii was spectacular. The blue on the face was
truly metallic. The 3rd place A. macmasteri was
BIG & intensely colored. Unfortunately no one
tried to bribe me, so I was totally impartial in
my judging ;-). All things considered, I can't
imagine a better experience for the speakers & the
conventioneers. The Atlanta club certainly
exemplified what 'Southern Hospitality' really
means. Next year Cincinnati has a tough act to
follow.

Mike Wise

R3K1@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> For those of you on the list who weren't able to
> attend this year's convention, please allow me
> to tell you what a superb job our Mike Wise did
> with his Apisto ID presentation.
>
> Within a very brief time constraint, Mike was
> able to address all of the current species
> groups and their complexes and still managed to
> peak the attendees' interest with valuable
> information concerning distribution and water
> type.  I found the photography outstanding and
> the information afforded scintillating,
> regardless of one's level of Apisto
> appreciation.
>
> Having met him in person for the first time, I
> want to say without reservation that Mike is as
> nice of a guy as he is knowledgeable.  My hat's
> off to you, Mike.  We, and I, are expecting much
> from you for years to come.
>
> Thank you.
>
> All the best,
>
> Randall Kohn