Re: undescribed apisto species

Sarah,

This information is from a Ph.D. student doing DNA studies on apistos. Most of
his results must await completion of his Ph.D. dissertation, but he allowed
Koslowski to mention this one result in his new book. If you're interested in
this type of thing you might want to read the following paper:

Farias, I., G. Orti, I. Sampaio, H. Schneider, & A. Meyer. 2001. The cytochrome
b gene as a phylogenetic marker: the limits of resolution for analyzing
relationships among cichlid fishes. J. Molecular Evolution 53: 89-103.

In it, the authors claim that the genus Apistogramma is one of the fastest
evolving genera of cichlids in South America. If geological & ethnological data
from the Amazon Basin are true, many of the Apistogramma species we see today
are less than 2,000 years old! This corresponds well with their DNA findings
for recent, rapid, speciation.

Mike Wise