Re: Plant quarantine

One of the best methods for ensuring that the plants are free of nasties is to dip them in a potassium permanganate solution. The solution oxidizes most critter and also takes care of certain types of algae. I've used this method with success - 1 tsp in 1 gallon of water. Soak the plants for 5 minutes and you're good to go. Be VERY careful with the stuff. It stains anything it touches purple. And I do mean anything! Lay paper towels around the bucket you're using to sterilize the plants with.

Bailin Shaw
In beautiful Connecticut where the fall colors are stunning!

From: "Max Gallade" <mgallade@hotmail.com>
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: Plant quarantine
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:32:21 +0000

Hi Guys,
I don't know if somebody answered this already(hotmail problems).
You can either dip the new plants in a mild bleach solution (check thekrib for directions) or here's what I usually do : Arizona Aquatics sells a liquid product called Limeit which gets rid of snail eggs, algae and other nasties that could come in with new plants.Just give the plants a 15 min bath in a limeit /Tankwater mixture ,rinse the plants good and you should be ready to go.
I would never pop new plants directly into my tanks before disinfecting them.
BTW,all my breeding tanks are planted .It just looks better in photos and gives the fry extra hiding spots.
HTH
Max