Re: A. Ortmanni now A. steindachneri

Well, Colin, I cannot tell from the picture if this is A. steindachneri or A. rupununi; it certainly is not A. hippolytae. What bothers me is that the photo does not show the caudal fin well, and the soft part of the dorsal does not show any orange, typical of A. steindachneri, but not A. rupununi. I have A. rupununi right now that look very much like the photo on the link & I have had A.
steindachneri with much more blue than the fish shown. Send me some photos of the females. They tend to show the diagnostic dark pattern better than the males. Schmettkamp's book, "Die Zwergcichliden Südamerikas" has an excellent set of line drawings that help distinguish the 3 steindachneri-complex species from each other. The location of the flank patch on your fish does appear to be like
those of A. steindachneri, which actually extends from slightly below the lateral band to 2/3 up to the dorsal fin. A. rupununi's flank patch is wider and extends from the base of the dorsal to just above the lateral band. That all being said, I am not surprised at the confusion since we are now finding locations in the upper Rio Branco where both A. steindachneri & A. rupununi live together.
Are we seeing mixing of the 2 species or variations in 1 species. Only time & more studies will tell.