Re: CURVICEPS

Howie,

You don't give enough information to give a
reliable answer, but this is my opinion:

1 Did the parents eat them?  - No curviceps will
eat the whole spawn or none at all.2 Not enough
nutrition? - Probably. 500 fry need a lot of food.
Liquid fry food may be OK for the first day or 2,
but after that ...3 Natural occurrence? - No, not
in a well maintained system.4 Should I remove the
parents? - No. If they have fry, they are doing
fine. The problem is elsewhere5 Any other
suggestions? If this is a small tank (10 - 30
gallons) gradual water changes of 10-20% every day
or 2. I find that poor water condition caused by
uneaten food (& most liquid food will remain
uneaten after the first 2 days) is the main reason
for fry dying. Change their diet to live, or at
least frozen, foods. After the first 2 days, baby
brine (especially the smaller San Francisco area
types) are excellent foods. Live is much better
that frozen. It does not foul the tank as quickly.

Unless you have 100s of gallons of water for
growing out your L. curviceps, 50 is a good
manageable size. If you haven't been doing serious
water changes, then start right now before you
lose more fry. Good water & good foods are the
ways to success.
 Mike Wise