Re: tank / quranteen

Yvan,

I was waiting for others to respond first, but since no one has...

When I bring in new fish, they all go into quarantine tanks - period. How long
they stay there depends on what they are, whether or not they are wild caught
fish, and in what condition they arrived. If they are domestic raised fish from
a tank I see has no problems, they might be moved out of quarantine within a
week or 2. Wild caught fish stay for at least a month. This gives them a chance
to settle into living in an aquarium and eating 'processed' foods. It also gives
them a chance to regain some of their lost weight & strength. I rarely treat
fish when they come in unless I see something that absolutely needs to be
treated (Ich, worms). Otherwise they get clean water (at proper values) & good
food - and checked closely. If after a month they seem fit, full bodied, & happy
they are added to their new homes. If they 'don't look quite right', they stay
in the quarantine until they either develop a problem (which is treated) or look
'right'.

There are some fish that need prophylactic treatments when they come in. At the
wholesaler where I once worked we had double dosed tetracycline tanks ready for
gouramies that came in from Asian breeders, otherwise they would all die within
a week doing the 'rocking shimmies' when put in new water. Fancy guppies were
heavily dosed with salt and slowly weaned to freshwater. I never had such
problems with dwarf cichlids. Their main problem was being shipped 'heavy' (too
many in too little water, leading to gill problems) & not being fed for a couple
of weeks during transit. All you could do for them was provide good clean water
& lots of food. Parasites & diseases were minor secondary problems.

Mike Wise