Re: sick fish

Matt,

I suspect that something is wrong with the tank
into which you put the macmasteri. Given clean
water & a quiet environment apistos, like most
cichlids, usually recover on their own. Forget
curing the fungus. Cure the infection that causes
the dead cells on which the fungi are living. If
it were my fish (& realize that I do not know how
badly it is mauled), I would put it in a hospital
tank (bare, with just a mature foam filter,
heater, & piece of 1" PVC pipe). I would add new
aged water adjusted to a slightly acid condition
(pH 6.5-6.8). Then I would add a combination of
Kanamicyn & Naladixic Acid to work on infections.
I have found these 2 antibiotic to be the best
commonly available in American pet stores.
Kanamicyn is a broad spectrum antibiotic that is
absorbed through the body. Naladixic Acid works
differently than Kanamicyn and produces a
synergistic effect in fighting bacterial diseases.
I personally don't add salt, but it might help.
Just remember that most apistos, including A.
macmasteri, prefer water with low conductivity.
Salt will certainly raise the water's conductivity
considerably. If you do use salt, make sure it is
non-iodized salt. Good luck.

Mike Wise