Re: A. sp. "Senger"?/pencils/speckled Apisto?

Sarah,

I've never hear of A. sp. Senger before, but exporters are always putting new
names to old - and sometimes new - fish. On the blotchy apisto front, several
years ago I did pick up some blue fin/yellow body cacatuoides-like fish with
similar irregular black blotches on their bodies. These fish turned out to be
A. cf. cacatuoides (Putumayo). My fish were fairly elongate even for an A.
cacatuoides, however. The black blotches didn't affect them. They grew up &
spawned all over the place.

Re: your eunotus form, this is strange. These are a white-/clearwater species &
can be bred even in neutral, moderately hard, water. You don't mention water
conditions, but I imagine it is suitable. You say your pencils spawn. Do you
ever get fry? Well fed pencils in suitable, but not optimal, water conditions
will lay eggs, but the egg/fry don't survive. Depending on the species, I have
had them consistently "pop out of the weed" without any special attention in
successful apisto breeding tanks. You might want to consider checking some
things. How high is the conductivity? If it is over 200µS/cm your water water
probably isn't best for developing eggs & fry. Also, don't continually change
things in the tank. This could be disrupting territories & bothering the fish.
Just some suggestions.

Mike Wise

Mike Wise