RE: Surrogate mother

hi Erick,
well i did try something like that awhile ago as i was missing some space.
I've tried to put some A. borelli with a female aggie that had young of the
same age. She immediately tried to bring them into the clutch of her own fry
but the problem was that the babies borelli did not recognise her as their
mom but rather as a predator and were not answering her "calls". They do not
react to the same body motion or whatever body position, sound, etc... The
fry at that age looked very similar.
Finally mom got mad of the fry that were fleeing from her and whenever she
could catch one she would kill them. She carried her own fry out very nicely
but you could tell that she was disturb by the "refractory" kids !
I guess that could work with species more "related". Also, i have seen
female N. anomala accepting fry from A. species (can recall what right now).
my 2 centimes

Yvan Alleau
450 SE Atwood Ave
Corvallis, OR 97333
(541) 752-0320
http://southamericancichlids.com
PLEASE NOTE: new address and phone number

College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences
Oregon State University

"When you're far from everything, you're getting closer to the essential"