Re: Westies (was Nanochromis nudiceps)

David,

No, I don't really find it irritating. I just accept the fact that I don't live
near any major fish importers, so I don't get the opportunity to see new fish
that are coming in. I'm also kind of resigned to the fact that the average
American hobbyist isn't willing to pay high prices for new species. How many
times have we seen someone write that Biotope (Oliver Lucanus) in Montreal has
so many wonderful fish, but they can't find them in the USA. (I also hear people
ask why his fish are so expensive. You get what you pay for!) If Americans were
willing to pay the prices, we would see these fish in this country more often.
After all, many of these fish were once exported to Europe through Florida
shippers who could get more from Europeans than Americans. These same European
importers are now bypassing US transshippers & buying directly for South America
& some have their own collecting crews there! Does anyone know of a US importer
who regularly brings in wild apistos from Brazil anymore? Most Brazilian apistos
now seem to be coming in from Europe, or am I mistaken?

Mike Wise