Re: RE: apistos and discus

Hi Alfredo,
my tank is only a 75 gal planted  as i mentionned i think in my email.
I did not keep all these apisto in it at the same time! Way to many fish
that would be, young Jedi.
In fact i had 2 or 3 pairs max (depending of the species) at a given time
in it, as i want them to have space to enjoy themselve. Qty = fction of
their needs and caracter.
I have wild caught discus (and other fish) and did not experience any
suceptibility to disease due to the fact that they are with other fish. I
however go through a 4 week quarantine (some hobbist go for longer
time, which might be even more secure) for any new fish before they are
introduced into a tank containing an established population. Most of my
fish go in their own tank so that works as quarantine as long as no tubing
or other devise is brought from a tank to another.
Secret, if that's one, is frequent small water changes to keep DOM low, as
well as other polutants.
As a start you might want to consider discus and german blue ram. It is a
nice colorful and peaceful species. The effect is garanted: awsome ! Yes
it is a comon fish but still one of the most beautiful. Cacatuoides are
also a good beginner fish, pretty sturdy and quite colorful depending on
the breed you choose. Many other fish will do too.
hope that helps
c ya