Re: information on two species

Bob,

Actually A. sp. Rotpunkt was originally introduced to the hobby in 1974 as
A. sp. aff. taeniatum by a young Swedish college student by the name of
Sven Kullander! (BB #43, 8/74). Werner Schmettkamp gave it the name
Rotpunkt in 1978 (DCG-Info 1/78). At this time no one was sure where it
came from, but was presumed to come from somewhere in the southwestern part
of the the Orinoco system, in Colombia. Subsequent collecting in the 1980s
& early 1990s has shown that the species does come from this area. Although
preserved specimens with known collecting localities are now available for
description, there simply is no professional taxonomist interested in
describing it. This is in part due to the desire for a more complete series
of specimens from other areas for comparison. This is unlikely to happen
until the political situation with coca growers, the FARC, and the
Colombian government is settled. Right now it is too dangerous for anyone
to enter this area. The other problem is that there are so many species
awaiting description. Only species that professional taxonomists feel are
important to the understanding of their personal projects are now
considered important enough to take the time & expense to describe. A. sp.
Rotpunkt is not one of these fish. In all likelihood most of the presently
undescribed apistos will remain that way for years to come, unless a
professional takes an interest - be it physical or molecular taxonomy.

Mike Wise